Fondation du couvent des frères prêcheurs à Paris

At the outset of the 13th century, a fairly large property, situated to the south of Paris along the wall built by Philip Augustus, belonged partly to Simon of Poissy and partly to the University. Simon gave his part to his friend Master John for the construction of a hospital, or hospice, for the p...

Full description

Saved in:  
Bibliographic Details
Main Author: Saffrey, H. D. 1921-2021 (Author)
Format: Electronic Article
Language:French
Check availability: HBZ Gateway
Journals Online & Print:
Drawer...
Interlibrary Loan:Interlibrary Loan for the Fachinformationsdienste (Specialized Information Services in Germany)
Published: 2017
In: Revue des sciences philosophiques et théologiques
Year: 2017, Volume: 101, Issue: 1, Pages: 109-123
Further subjects:B Jacobins
B Chartularium Universitatis Parisiensis
B Studium dominicain
B Cartulaire de Saint-Jacques
B Honorius III
B Simon de Poissy
B Maître Jean de Saint-Albans
Online Access: Volltext (JSTOR)
Volltext (kostenfrei)
Volltext (kostenfrei)
Description
Summary:At the outset of the 13th century, a fairly large property, situated to the south of Paris along the wall built by Philip Augustus, belonged partly to Simon of Poissy and partly to the University. Simon gave his part to his friend Master John for the construction of a hospital, or hospice, for the poor. Master John was a regent master at the University, and in 1218 he put up in this hospice of his the Friars Preachers who had come from Toulouse, and this to teach them theology there. So it is that the hospice of Saint Jacques became the Priory of Saint Jacques, and the Friars Preachers soon came to be called Jacobins. The priory was at the same time the first Dominican studium, where brothers from every origin were sent for studies. This study is accompanied by corroborating documents drawn from the Cartulary of Saint Jacques, an unedited manuscript held at the Saulchoir Library, and from the Cartulary of the University of Paris.
Au début du xiiie siècle, un terrain assez vaste situé au sud de Paris, le long du mur d’enceinte construit par Philippe-Auguste, appartenait pour une part à Simon de Poissy, pour l’autre part à l’Université. La part de Simon fut donnée par lui à son ami maître Jean pour y construire un hôtel-Dieu ou hospice pour les pauvres. Maître Jean était maître régent à l’Université et c’est dans l’hospice qui lui appartenait qu’il installa en 1218 les frères prêcheurs venus de Toulouse pour leur y enseigner la théologie. C’est ainsi que l’hospice Saint-Jacques est devenu le couvent Saint-Jacques et que les frères prêcheurs ont été aussitôt appelés Jacobins. Le couvent était en même temps le premier studium dominicain où les frères ont été envoyés de partout pour les études. Cette histoire est accompagnée des documents qui en apportent la preuve, tirés du Cartulaire de Saint-Jacques, manuscrit inédit conservé à la Bibliothèque du Saulchoir, et du Chartularium Universitatis Parisiensis.
ISSN:2118-4445
Contains:Enthalten in: Revue des sciences philosophiques et théologiques
Persistent identifiers:DOI: 10.3917/rspt.1011.0109