RT Postcard T1 Thompson Memorial Chapel, Williams College A2 James R. Tanis LA Undetermined UL https://ixtheo.de/Record/1894444205 NO Williams College owes its name and its origin to an educational bequest of Colonel Ephraim Williams (who was killed in the battle at Lake George in 1755) for the purpose of founding "a Free School" in Williamstown. The Free School was chartered in 1785 and opened October 20, 1791, with the Rev. Ebenezer Fitch as preceptor. On June 22, 1793, by an act of legislature, Williams College was established and to it the property of the Free School was transferred K1 Fine Arts K1 Church buildings ; United States K1 Church architecture ; United States K1 United States ; CT ; Williamstown K1 Postkarte